Seven soldiers died in an encounter with the New People’s Army in Kalamansig town in Sultan Kudarat on Tuesday, March 21.
In a statement released Friday night, Rigoberto Sanchez, spokesperson of the NPA Southern Mindanao Operations Command said the NPAs carried out an order “to exact revolutionary justice” against a certain Marlon Lomantas at 2:20 am whom they claimed is a former military man “turned active intelligence agent of the 39th IB and a known drug trader” in Barangay Sibayan.
The New People’s Army in Southern Mindanao emphasized that although it welcomed the talks with Mayor Sara Duterte, it stands by the national leadership of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines as the negotiating entity in the peace process.
Two members of the New People’s Army were dead after a 40-minute clash with government troops in Asuncion, Davao del Norte, the Army said Sunday.
As a gesture of support on the resumption of peace talks, the National Democratic Front in Mindanao announced Thursday the slated released of the six prisoners of wars who were held captive by the New People’s Army.
Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte said she is willing to listen to the NPA “if the NPA is willing to talk.”
“There was no NPA attack last February 15 against an AFP-escorted relief operations in Barangay Linunggaman, San Francisco, Surigao del Norte,” the CPP said in a statement Friday.
Two soldiers were killed and 17 others were wounded in a series of armed encounters with New People’s Army guerrillas in northern Davao City on Thursday.
The New People’s Army in Northeastern Mindanao declared a unilateral ceasefire in Surigao del Norte and Agusan del Norte following the severe damage brought by the 6.7 intensity earthquake on Friday night, Feb. 10.
The New People’s Army on Wednesday said that the skirmish in Bukidnon earlier this month which resulted to the death of government soldiers was a legitimate encounter.