While the government is yet to serve formal notice terminating the peace negotiation, Church leaders and peace advocates hope that this would also give them space for continuing the talks.
Government chief negotiator Silvestre Bello III said the government peace panel is still awaiting an order from President Rodrigo Duterte to formally cut the peace negotiations with the communists.
Two weeks since President Rodrigo Duterte announced he does not want to talk to the communists anymore the National Democratic Front of the Philippines said it has not yet received a formal notice from the Philippine government.
Despite the setback in the peace negotiations, church leaders are optimistic the government and the Communists will go back to the negotiating table as it urged the present administration to be relentless in its endeavor to put an end to the decades-long conflict in Mindanao and not be swayed by those who are trying to obstruct the peace negotiations.
Lumad leaders and children from Mindanao, along with progressive groups, called on today for the continuation of peace talks between the government and communist revolutionaries, saying it is the only solution to their issues.
A week before President Rodrigo Duterte delivered his second State of the Nation Address, negotiators were engaged on a table battle to discuss reforms which would hopefully end the armed conflict.
After the Marawi crisis, the government forces would shift the offensives against the New People’s Army.
The fifth round of the formal talks, which was supposed to tackle the comprehensive agreement on social and economic reforms in August is again on the rocks.
The Philippine government has granted Presidential pardon to 10 political prisoners last week, bringing to 49 the total number of political detainees released under the Duterte administration.
The peace talks with the government and the communists would only resume if the New People’s Army, the armed-wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, would stop collecting revolutionary taxes, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Thursday.