DAVAO CITY, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) on Friday, October 27, said the dengue cases region 11 has significantly reduced this year.
Based on the record from the DOH, 3,076 reported cases were recorded from January to October this year, a decrease by 69 percent from last year’s 10,128 cases on the same period.
Reported deaths have also declined from 78 in 2016 to 23 deaths this year over the same period.
Davao City has the highest number of dengue incidents with 1,595 while provinces of Davao del Norte, Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental tallies with 576, 372, and 334 reported cases respectively.
Davao del Sur and Davao Occidental provinces recorded the least count with 155 and 34 cases respectively.
Yasuy Avila, health education and promotion officer of DOH 11 attributed the decrease to the intensified campaigns to combat dengue.
However, she emphasized that communities should not be negligent even with the reported decrease of figures.
“In combating dengue it really pays a lot of community participation,” Avila said.
She urged the public to participate in community programs such as the Aksyon Barangay Kontra Droga (ABKD) of the DOH and observe the “4S advisory – Search and Destroy possible mosquito homes; self-protection measures, seek immediate consultation, and say ‘no’ to indiscriminate fogging.” (davaotoday.com)