DAVAO CITY – Two weeks after saying sorry to his supporters because he is not running for the presidency in 2016, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte appeared in another press gathering Monday night to reiterate his refusal to run as president.
Duterte also asked the group who is about to hold an activity in Manila on Saturday to “stop.”
Duterte, who previously said he sought signs from God whether to run or not said “wala mang sinabi si God (God told me nothing).”
“If God is in front of me now, I would ask him for money. I would not dare ask campaign funds from politicians, even from friends,” he said.
Duterte said at his age, running for president “to solve the country’s problems” is a “waste of time”. He also said his family is “against it” and that he is retiring from politics.
He said his filing for a certificate of candidacy for the presidency is a “worse” scenario, but said he has “been thinking about it 24 hours a day” despite his family’s protest.
Duterte said he does not want to be presumptuous that he has “millions” of supporters.
During his weekly program, Gikan sa Masa, Para sa Masa, last Sunday Duterte said that he will not be attending the “million people’s march”.
Meanwhile, Duterte said that he worries about the fate of federalism.
“I cannot be the savior of all time. I cannot be the correcter,” said Duterte on the possibility that federalism will not be on the agenda of other presidentiables.(davaoto day.com)