DAVAO CITY, Philippines – A survey found that 54 percent of Dabawenyos do not agree with the decision of Presidential son and former Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo “Pulong” Duterte to resign. Respondents find his move “unnecessary.”
The University of Mindanao–Institute for Popular Opinion (UM-IPO) director for quantitative studies Adrian Tamayo in a press conference on Monday, the reason behind the results of the survey is that Paolo Duterte was elected by Dabawenyos, “It would be better if we also get the sentiments of those who voted for him.”
In a survey conducted on January 31 to February 8, a month after Paolo Duterte left his position, by the UM–IPO showed that only 34 percent of the 1,200 respondents support the resignation of Pulong, while 12 percent were hesitant to give their opinion.
Fifty-seven percent of those who do not support the resignation came from District 1, while Pulong maintains a higher popularity rating in District 2 more than in District 3.
The survey indicates that 58 percent of the respondents said they still trust Pulong as a public official, while the remaining 42 percent “lost their confidence.”
Meanwhile, Paolo Duterte in a statement thanked the public for their trust as reflected in the latest survey.
“It was my honor to have served you, and I will always be honored to continue serving you in the best possible way — even if I am out of politics,” Duterte said.
He hopes the Dabawenyos will understand his decision, “Dili kadto dali, apan nakabalo naman kamo sa akong rason ug sa akong kahimtang (It was not easy, but everyone knows my reason and situation).”
Paolo Duterte filed his resignation last December out of “delicadeza” over the smuggling allegations at the Bureau of Customs and the “public squabble” with his daughter, Isabelle Duterte.
Based on the results, although he no longer serves as a public official, Pulong maintains a net political capital of 38 percent with a “very narrow window” of 4 percent.
“It will need a good machinery and effective political strategy to get back from where he has left,” the survey said. (davaotoday.com)