By DAVAO TODAY Davao City — Tropical cyclone Agaton, the first storm of 2014, has changed direction moving southeast of…
Posts by tag: Agusan del Sur
Families of five barangay officials make their plea with peace advocates here in Davao for the release of their relatives captured by the New People’s Army in Sabu, Loreto, Agusan del Sur. The officials were captured last October on allegations they are members of paramilitary groups that harassed the community. The National Democratic Front orders the release of the captured officials after the latter’s apology. . (davaotoday.com photo by John Rizle L. Saligumba)
The New People’s Army has given a “prisoner of war” status to “five Cafgu paramilitary forces” who were “captured” in the village center of Barangay Mansanitas, Loreto town, Agusan del Sur after they raided a detachment of the Philippine Army’s 26th Infantry Battalion, 11am of October 24.
Kasaka said Alindao was its second leader to be killed in a month, after another officer, Benjie Planos, was also hacked and shot dead last September 13 in his farm in Kauswagan.
Agusan Manobo tribal leader Datu Librando Peres from Barangay Sabud, Loreto, Agusan del Sur, narrated during the Karapatan press conference narrates how the agreement between residents, Loreto Mayor Dario Otaza and the miltary were violated as the Philippine Army’s 26th Infantry Battalion encamp in their communities’ schools and houses, and also strafed houses and places of worship. Peres demanded for the pullout of troops so the communities can return in peace. (davaotoday.com photo by Medel V. Hernani
Benjie Planos, a Bisaya settler living among the Manobos, and other leaders of KASAKA had been receiving death threats from the Philippine Army’s 26th Infantry Battalion and the paramilitary group Bagani. the militarization, KASAKA leaders said, is linked with the entry of New Britain Palm Oil Ltd, which is eyeing KASAKA’s ancestral domain.
“Unsaon namo pag-uli nga naa pa may gyera didto sa amoa?(How are we going home when there’s still a war going on there?)” said Jocely Andaliki “At least diri, safety among paminaw, di pareha didto sa amoa nga giabog mi mismo sa among gobernor, (Here, we feel safe, not like there where our governor drove us out).”
Some 400 Manobos refused an order from Agusan del Sur Governor Edward Plaza to leave the capitol compound and dialog with the Philippine Army’s 26th Infantry Battalion in their villages in Loreto town.
An Agusan Manobo child lets the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ Eastern Mindanao Command in Panacan, Davao City know that military operations have affected the schooling of children in five barangays in Loreto, Agusan del Sur since the end of July. Around 1,000 Manobos including 300 children fled their villages for fear of hearing successive gunfire. (davaotoday.com photo by Ace R. Morandante)
JOHN RIZLE L. SALIGUMBA
The Agusanons endured a grueling two-day travel circuiting two provinces. Starting Thursday, they walked four hours from their evacuation center in Barangay Kauswagan, Loreto, Agusan del Sur, crossed a river to reach the neighboring Laak, Compostela Valley. Then they took a bus that brought them to Tagum City in Davao del Norte at night. Friday morning they traveled to Prosperidad and held a camp-in until provincial officials responded.The Agusanons took this circuitous route to steer clear of the military.