Two soldiers were killed and 17 others were wounded in a series of armed encounters with New People’s Army guerrillas in northern Davao City on Thursday.
Solicitor General Jose Calida, a former Justice assistant secretary, said a Supreme Court decision “should prevail over the Jasig as basis on the order to rearrest the National Democratic Front of the Philippines who were granted temporary liberty last year to join the peace negotiations.
Vice President Maria Leonor “Leni” Robredo believes that the government can continue the peace negotiations with the Communists even without a ceasefire.
More than a hundred lawmakers signed a House resolution Thursday urging President Rodrigo Duterte to resume the peace talks with Communists, recognizing the gains made for the benefit of the people.
New People’s Army spokesperson Ka Oris said there are no factions inside the Communist Party of the Philippines.
For all of the above reasons, the NDFP cannot as yet acknowledge receipt of the 07 February 2017 email letter of Sec. Dureza. The NDFP cannot be a party to an unjust, unreasonable and improper termination of the JASIG. The GRP bears full responsibility for its unilateral decision to terminate the effectivity of the JASIG and in effect the peace negotiations.
The New People’s Army on Wednesday said that the skirmish in Bukidnon earlier this month which resulted to the death of government soldiers was a legitimate encounter.
Mindanao lawmakers lamented the suspension of the peace talks between the government and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines.
The founding chairperson of the Communist Party of the Philippines, Jose Maria Sison is clueless why the Philippine government had to terminate peace talks despite the advances it made since the formal resumption last year.
Militant groups here are hopeful that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte will continue the peace talks between the government and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines.