The peace talks with the government and the communists would only resume if the New People’s Army, the armed-wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, would stop collecting revolutionary taxes, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Thursday.
The Reciprocal Working Committee on Socio-Economic Reforms of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP RWC-SER) castigated Defense Chief Delfin Lorenzana Jr. for his previous statement that the government should consider ending the peace process if communist guerrillas continue their offensives against the government.
The peace panels are back to their feet as the government peace panel chief Silvestre Bello said the Philippine government and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines will possibly resume the negotiations next month.
The government peace panel is asking the Department of Justice (DOJ) to immediately review the case of a bishop who was arrested with a communist leader in Ozamis City last month.
The resumption of peace negotiations between the Philippine government and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines may happen in August or September this year, the Communist Party of the Philippines said Wednesday.
Except for one political detainee who died while in prison, the numbers of political prisoners released and those arrested under the present government are equal, the National Democratic Front of the Philippines said.
The former professor of President Rodrigo Duterte now has stronger words against him following the cancellation of the fifth round of talks.
In a statement Thursday night, June 1, the Negotiating Panel of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) said they want to resume the talks “as soon as possible.”
Hours after President Rodrigo Duterte warned of arresting communist leaders who will return from the Netherlands, Jose Maria Sison said the peace panels would have issued a joint statement on the fight against terrorism earlier.
Negotiators of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines said they are confused on the government’s dealing with them after Duterte ordered for the arrest of their negotiators who were released to participate in the resumption of the formal talks in August last year.