DAVAO CITY, Philippines — Despite the intensified campaigns made by various stakeholders this month in line with the observation of Fire Prevention Month, a total of 60 fire incidents are still recorded in the area of Davao this March, the Bureau of Fire Protection in the region (BFP-11) said in a report.
Senior Fire Officer (SFO) 2 Ramil Gillado, BFP-11 spokesperson told Davao Today that there is a slight increase in the number of fire incidents, compared to March last year, which was only 52.
Around PHP 3 million worth of properties were also destroyed during these fire incidents but Gillado clarified that the total damages are lower compared to the PHP 6 million recorded in the same month last year.
Most of the fire incidents this March involved grass fires, residential and rubbish fires, he added.
The common causes of grass and rubbish fires include the improper disposal of cigarette butts, bonfires, and the unattended burning of waste materials.
On the other hand, fire incidents in residential areas are due to electrical short circuit, electrical arcing, overheated electrical appliances, as well as unattended cooking, and children playing lighted matches or lighters.
The recent fire incident took place in an urban poor community at Purok 1, Barangay 37-D, Mabini, Davao City on Monday, March 25.
Around 23 houses, mostly made of light materials, were razed by fire.
The assessment made by authorities said a total of 17 houses were totally damaged on Monday’s fire while six were partially damaged with a total cost of PHP 700,000.
The Philippines observes Fire Prevention Month this March. (davaotoday.com)