The Duterte administration’s malicious red-tagging is now targeting a ranking church official of the Iglesia Filipinia Independiente in Mindanao.
Families of human rights victims hit out the Armed Forces of the Philippines for deferring retired Major General Jovito Palparan’s transfer to New Bilibid Prison (NBP), two weeks after he was found guilty over the enforced disappearance of student activists Karen Empeno and Sherlyn Cadapan in 2006.
The Kahugpungan sa Lumadnong Organisasyon-Caraga (Kasalo-Caraga), a progressive group in Caraga, said, on Wednesday, that the Lumad tribal leader who appeared in a video interview by Communications Assistant Secretary Mocha Uson to discuss the spate of killings in Mindanao was implicated in the deaths of Lumad leaders in Lianga, Surigao del Sur province back in 2015.
A volunteer for a human rights group Kawagib Moro Human Rights based in Maguindanao was shot and killed by suspected military agents at around 3:00 p.m of September 23, a spokesperson of the group said.
Fidel Agcaoili, chief negotiator of National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP), said the military has a well-established record of human rights violations in the country.
On Saturday, Suara Bangsamoro dispatched a team to assess the situation and interviewed the families of the victims. The group learned from the families that all seven victims were allowed by the military to harvest mangosteen fruits in Sitio Tubig Bato, Kabuntakas village in Patikul but ended up being gunned down by a group of Scout Rangers.
It’s an act of terror.
Hundreds of civilians have evacuated from their homes earlier this week as the Armed Forces of the Philippines conducted airstrikes in two Maguindanao towns, a Moro group said.
Human rights group Karapatan slammed the recently revealed directive of the Philippine National Police (PNP) to compile a list of alleged New People’s Army (NPA) associates as an attack on rights defenders.
An airstrike in Shariff Aguak town in Maguindanao has displaced thousands of families, wounded three persons and left one civilian casualty in a bid to run after the rebels behind the twin bombings in Isulan town, Sultan Kudarat, an official of a Moro group said Tuesday.