DAVAO CITY – Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte withdrew his certificate of candidacy for mayor while a representative filed for his COC for president Friday.
The COC for president was filed in Intramuros, Manila, a few minutes after Duterte withdrew his COC at the Commission on Elections office here.
In an interview with the press, Duterte said he will endorse his daughter, former city mayor Sara Duterte, as his replacement.
Duterte had earlier stated his reluctance to run for president, citing health reasons and the refusal of his family to allow him to run.
On October 12, Duterte in a press conference, said he is retiring at the end of his term if daughter Sara agrees to run for Mayor, or that he would seek re-election if she does not.
Duterte filed his COC for mayor through his aide Christopher Go on October 15.
Duterte announced his interest to run for the presidency on November 21 after the Senate Electoral Tribunal’s decision in favor of Senator Grace Poe’s disqualification case. Duterte said Poe is not qualified to run as president because “she is not a natural-born citizen.” (With a report from Dyanarha P. Lavadia)