OSLO, Norway – Presidential Peace Adviser Secretary Jesus Dureza met with family members of a foreign national held captive by the Abu Sayyaf group in Mindanao in the Philippines.
In an interview with Davao Today on Thursday afternoon (around 1:00 pm Oslo time) here, Dureza said he stayed at Amsterdam in Netherlands overnight before proceeding to Oslo for the second round of talks with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines to meet with the wife and sister of the victim.
He said the family sought help from the government.
Dureza refused to identify the name of the victims but said the family whom he had dinner with are from Holland.
“We had dinner together, they are from Holland and they travelled by car for around three hours just to meet me,” he said.
It can be recalled that Norwegian hostage Kjartan Sekkingstad was released by the Abu Sayyaf on September 18, after almost a year in captivity.
Sekkingstad was abducted by the Abu Sayyaf along with Canadian nationals John Ridsdel and Robert Hall, and Filipina Tess Flor from a resort on Samal Island on September 21 last year.
Dureza said that Sekkingstad’s release was a result of “months of quiet, patient, but determined efforts with the assistance of all sectors.” (davaotoday.com)