By MART D. SAMBALUD
TAGUM CITY – Davao Oriental and four towns in Davao del Norte have been declared under state of calamity after floods and landslides killed 15 people, injured 34, displaced some 31,062 families, destroyed two vital bridges, engulfed a school, and suspended classes up to secondary levels.
The Office of Civil Defense Region 11 reported as of January 14, 8 am, a total of 31,062 families or 152,276 persons were displaced coming from 16 municipalities and two cities in the region because of flooding and landslides.
Floods and landslides have struck Typhoon Pablo affected areas such as in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley.
A landslide in Pulang Lupa in Barangay Bango, Compostela municipalty in Compostela Valley engulfed an elementary school last Sunday.Three were confirmed dead in the landslide, but here are still others missing.
Residents in that area have already evacuated to the municipal gym in Brgy. Ngan.
Ten municipalities in Davao Oriental have been affected by rising waters and mudslides. Davao Today earlier reported 300 houses were damaged by rising waters. Manurigao and Caraga bridges in Davao Oriental were damaged.
In Davao del Norte, Tagum City and three towns — Kapalong, Carmen and New Corella – had declared a state of emergency.
The Davao del Norte Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (DN-PDRRMC) reported as of January 14, 5 am, some 8,249 families or 38,502 people have been affected by the rising waters.
Romulo Tagalo, OIC of the DN-PDRRMC said they had rescued some 29% or 11,139 people, as the provincial social welfare now is giving food relief to evacuees.
The low pressure area last week also damaged an estimated P10,924,775 worth in agricultural crops and P4.15 million in infrastructure in Davao del Norte.
Rains are expected to continue today as PAGASA’s forecast of a low pressure area (LPA) within 24 hours in Davao Region remained.
But in-roads to Tagum City are open to all types of vehicles except for the old Miranda Bridge.
Classes remain suspended from nursery to high school levels in some areas of the province.
Tagalo said the provincial board will be convening to decide on declaring a province-wide state of calamity based on the assessment of these reports.
In Compostela Valley, the provincial DRRMC reported 4,254 families have been displaced by rising waters in 35 barangays in four towns namely Laak, Compostela, New Bataan and Montevista. Five people were reported dead, not ten as earlier reported, while 10 people were injured and seven missing.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council reported 15 dead, 34 injured and 13 missing in regions 10, 11 and 13 due to floods and landslides brought by the low-pressure area. (Mart D. Sambalud, davaotoday.com)floods, low pressure area, LPA in Mindanao, typhoon Pablo