CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, Philippines – After the Camiguin provincial government required local and foreign tourists to disclose their travel history before they are allowed to enter the island-province, it has now temporarily restricted the entry of visitors who have been to China and other countries hit by the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
“Camiguin as a tourist destination is a potential hotspot for the infections” and that “travel restriction regulating the movement of persons has been deemed to be effective in curbing the spread” of the virus, stated parts of the Executive Order (EO) 5A, dated Feb. 7, posted by Gov. Jurdin Jesus Romualdo on social media Sunday evening.
Said EO has allowed the provincial government to impose “temporary travel restrictions to all non-residents of Camiguin who have traveled/visited places affected by novel coronavirus for the last three months.”
It added that all residents of Camiguin, who have traveled or visited China and its special administrative regions and other known places where said infection is confirmed to exist, are “required to undergo the mandatory  days quarantine or if necessary further medical investigation.”
It instructed all hotels, resorts, common carriers, and other tourist-related establishments in the province to inform about the travel restriction to those tourists mentioned in EO’s section 1.
These establishments are required to cancel and refund any of the advance payment made by their visitors. They are also mandated to ask arriving tourists to present their entry card issued by the local government of Camiguin as they are required to submit weekly to the provincial tourism office a list of their guests.
“Any person found to have been willfully hidden such required information when demanded or refuse shall be subject to investigation and applicable criminal prosecution,” the EO said.
Last Jan. 27, the Camiguin government announced that the person suspected of having the 2019-nCov symptoms has tested negative.
Four days after (Jan. 31), the governor issued EO 5 which ordered the mandatory disclosure of all tourists’ travel history before they are allowed to visit Camiguin.
In an interview, Romualdo said they are even restricting the entry of tourists who merely had a layover in China, Hong Kong, and Macau. He added the provincial government has also organized the nCoV Task Force as precautionary measure against the infection.
In the last week of January, Romualdo said there were around 130 Chinese visitors in Camiguin prompting them to establish health protocols. (davaotoday.com)